Sunday, August 1, 2010

I love books

I first read.....had this book read to me in 5Th grade. I remembered it years later while walking around a Barnes and Noble. I couldn't remember the name at the time and only tracked it down after a co-worker mentioned the story line I related to a Librarian friend. It's a youth reader that's great for a quick trip out of town in the car, a flight across the country or a weekend couch read. Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian is set at the beginning of WWI England. Willie Beech, a young sickly boy unloved by his Bible thumping mother, is evacuated to a small town in the country where he learns to embrace life through his experiences with his new guardian Mr. Tom. It makes me laugh, cry and think, what more could you ask from a book?


I've read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi at least a dozen times (exaggeration but it really does seem like it). It's set in 1832 where Charlotte, an American heading home to Rhode Island from school in England, is about to take a voyage that will change her life. Unknown to her all the other passengers scheduled to sail with her have been scared away by a crew bent on treachery. During the voyage she's befriended by the ships cook and eventually learns that the captain she adores is not who she thinks he is. Love it so much!!!!!!! It definitely makes my list of great reads.


5 comments:

  1. I love The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle! I heard it was being made into a movie, but I don't know whatever happened to that. But I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto to the charlotte book! so good. i always hated the title and the cover of it because it was embarrassing when someone would ask what i was reading and it totally looked and sounded like a romance novel. but i love that book. fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I introduced that book to you. I did a paper on it in Jr. High and my teacher gave me an F and said I didn't read it because Charlotte didn't get a metal for her bravery at the end. I should have fought that one! Any who, ditto on not liking the cover. It was embarrassing. Peace out. Anneli

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loooooooove youth lit. i think as a general rule it's better than adult fiction because ( modern) adult fiction has too much garbage thrown in to try and make the book seem "edgy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO TRUE!!! I've stuck out so many times at the library trying to find a book that doesn't have junk in it. I'm just going to start looking in the kids book section.

    And I believe Anneli did introduce me to the book:)

    ReplyDelete